US Members - Remember, Passports are needed to return to the US from Canada

All American citizens will need a valid passport if they are flying by air in order to return home. Those crossing the border by land or sea will need a driver's license AND proof of citizenship or birth certificate. This is in effect until June 2009.

Other countries have their own rules. For complete information refer to the Canadian Ministry of Travel and Immigration at

How To Get A Passport

If you don’t have a passport, if it was lost, stolen or damaged, if it’s expired, if it was issued more than 15 years ago or when you were under the age of 16, you should apply in person. There are about 7,000 passport facilities located throughout the United States. They include many post offices, courts, county or municipal offices and some public libraries. You will need two photographs of yourself, proof of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate, and a valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license.

Renew Your Passport/Change Your Name

If you simply need to renew your passport or change your name on it due to marriage or divorce, you can download an application from the State Department’s website and mail it along with the necessary fee, your old passport, any necessary documentation such as a marriage license or divorce decree, and two new photos.


To obtain a new passport, the fee for adults is currently $97.00, renewal is $67.00. Expedited service, which usually takes about two weeks, is an extra $60.00. All of the fees are non-refundable. Credit cards, debit cards, checks and money orders are accepted as payment. For faster service, the State Department recommends that applicants arrange overnight delivery for sending the application and receiving the passport.

Passport Photos

Having a passport photo taken is easier than you may think. Many discount chains, drug stores, camera shops, and copy centers now offer passport photo service for a fee. Some businesses that take passport photos include Walgreens, The UPS Store, FedEx, AAA, Kinko’s, Wal-Mart Portrait Studios, Kmart Portrait Studios, Target Portrait Studios, Sears Portrait Studios, and JC Penney Portraits. You’ll need two copies of a recent, color photograph of yourself alone. The image must be a good likeness of you and be 2x2 inches in size. The image from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head including your hair should not be less than 1 inch and not more than 1 3/8 inches. The photo must be clear with a full front view of your face without dark sunglasses, a hat or other head covering and printed on thin paper with a light, white or off-white background.

For More Information

For more information and answers to frequently asked questions, visit the State Department’s official website at or the Canadian Ministry of Travel and Immigration at


    Capilano Suspension Bridge         Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Garden         Minter Gardens